Off-Roading Near Abu Dhabi: From Vehicles to Places
Offroading in UAE has a unique feel attached to it. But an off-roading near Abu Dhabi experience is incomplete without proper knowledge of the vehicle and other relevant information related to it.
For this reason, we bring for you all the details on off-roading in a tell-all fashion, so that your off-roading experience is like none other.
Let’s start with a list of the best off-road vehicle one can choose from!
- Toyota Land Cruiser
- Volvo XC70 (Cross Country)
- VW Beetle
- Ford Raptor
- Mercedes G-Class
- Subaru Forester
- Dodge (Ram) Power Wagon
- Suzuki Samurai
- Hummer H1
- Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
- 4WD Toyota Hilux Pickup
Experience of Off-roading Near Abu Dhabi
Places to Explore in Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi has many areas that are the blend of the rolling red dunes as well as flat desert plains. The best adventure to suit these places will be hiking, rock climbing, and wadi walks.
There are somewhere around 33 routes for exploration in Abu Dhabi as an off-roader. Out of these, 20 routes are new and include hiking through Ras Al Khaimah’s abandoned villages. A person is likely to love driving across the desert, traversing through three Emirates for swimming in the rock pools or enjoying the enthralling experience of dune bashing on some of the best-known dunes in UAE.
- One of the best routes to take is the one that leads to the Al Qudra Lakes. There is a 86 km bike ride that takes a person to the core and allows the person to watch the Marmoum Conservation Reserve along the route. Additionally, there are a lot of human-made lakes that make sure the view is aesthetically pleasing!
There is a unique bird watching experience that will attract a lot of attention throughout the journey. Flamingos, Herons are amongst some birds that are found during the journey.
- Around Abu Dhabi, there are a lot of fossil dunes located outside the Mussafah, which are open for exploration. These impressive and unique landscape is created due to sand getting hardened and being shaped by the wind; this is again an enchanting experience for a person. For someone who wishes to go for sports adventure or camping, this route should be a must go!
- Another off-road trip that can be taken is to Dalma island, which is better from the point of a culture enthusiast. This is simply one of the easiest routes and also allows the person to see Jebel Dhann (270 km from Abu Dhabi). This particular route will give a person one of the best experience of the life.
- Some other route options are like the Northern Emirates and Ras Al Khaimah. The latter is a heaven for hikers and has the Stairway to Heaven.
Learning about off-roading
Before heading for off-roading in UAE, it is better to opt for a desert driving course to learn about the basic and the essentials of driving in the desert. Emirates Driving Institute helps a person in learning the driving skills and provides tips for desert driving.
Tips for driving
Some tips for off-road driving are:
- Avoid Bogging
- Take as many wide turns
- If the car gets stuck, then put the vehicle in reverse when moving the steering wheel left or right.
- For plain sailing off-roading, drive at the rocky terrain such as the wadis or the northern mountains.
- Be informed about the vehicle’s ground clearance for avoiding any damage because of large rocks.
- Be careful to not hit any animal while off-roading.
Safety is Important
- It is wise to go for off-roading in a group instead of going alone.
- Make sure to do a thorough check of the car before going for an off-road trip.
- Fill the car’s tank before leaving and if possible, carry some extra fuel.
- Check if the spare tire is in proper condition or not.
For an extensive list of items to carry on a road trip, click here!
Furthermore, your campsite should be visible to all the other approaching vehicles. You can also try and make use of a flagpole while you drive to help other drivers, and vice versa.
Keep a check on the weather before venturing out for the trip.
Different types of routes to take for off-roading
For various off-roading experiences, a person has the option for different routes and duration.
- Route for one day
For someone looking for a whole day of off-roading, the eastern side of the Wadi Bih route along with the Wadi Asimah track will provide an excellent experience that entails scenic beauty of wonderful trees and off-road diversions too.
- Fossil Rock route
Fossil rock is one of the best exploration routes for anyone looking for a complete desert experience. The whole experience has a lot of dunes along with views of villages, farms, and mountains, etc.
- For overnight off-roading
A person can opt for a trip to Liwa Oasis for an overnight off-roading experience. To fully be able to immerse self in this experience, a person will require atleast two nights. There are additional ways to improve the experience of the off-road trip by the addition of long lunches and early camping.