Dubai demands a strict adherence to the laws and Dubai Police, and RTA makes sure that people make it a point to follow these rules. It is usually an excellent idea to keep clear of reasons that can put you on the radar of the police for the wrong reasons.
Dubai has a serious affection for cars, and it believes in keeping good care of them. Even the RTA is proactive in making sure that the cars that drive on the roads of Dubai stay in the best condition possible.
A car owner in Dubai is supposed to renew the vehicle’s registration every year. Usually, the dealer will be handling the formalities of the registration for the first year. After that, from the second year, a person has to themselves deal with the intricacies of the registration themselves.
According to the rules
set by the UAE’s government in 2010, a person can renew the car’s driving license or car registration from any of the emirates in the UAE. This is irrespective of where the driving license or documents of the vehicle were made.
A person can also approach some of the insurance companies for renewing the car’s registration details. These companies are RSA Insurance, Noor Takaful, Fujairah Insurance and Oman Insurance. The insurance companies work on the same principals and procedures along with proper online facilities. The services provided are in line as being the same as the one’s provided by the Dubai RTA customer service kiosks, and other approved agents like Tamam and Tasjeel, etc.
Documents Required for Registration of Vehicle
1. Car insurance certificate
2. Old registration card
3. Car test certificate with “Pass.”
Steps to Procure the Registration
1. The first step includes settling of fines if any. For that, a person has to log on to the Dubai Police
website to check and settle any fines.
2. Then, the car needs to be tested for getting the certificate. For this, a person has to look for an appointment at the Dubai Traffic Department, or the Department of traffic belonging to the emirate that the individual wants car registered in.
3. Payment of the registration fees.
4. In case the car isn’t financed, bank clearance certificate needs to be shown too. Otherwise, wait to get the registration card with a validity of one year.
5. Use the provided sticker along with the new registration documents and put it on the vehicle’s rear number plate.
• Car test charges: AED 120
• Registration charges: AED 340
Some Useful Tips
• New vehicles have been exempted from the test for a duration of two consecutive years.
• Some service providers will complete all the procedures on a person’s behalf. This will be done on the addition of extra charge and will include pick up and drop service to the home.
Some insurance companies too have built similar free/paid model.
• RTA also has a Personal Appearance Service for people who are unable to get the registration done themselves. To avail this, a person has to make a one-time visit to the RTA customer service center; provide and register all the details. The person will then receive a unique code on the mobile number provided.
A representative can then be sent along with the PIN for completion of the RTA registration work. Although, the PIN is one time only and for other processing, a new Personal Appearance Service needs to be done.
The representative can get one or more cars’ registration done in a go.