Do you Know How to Jump Start Your Car?
The performance of the car is directly proportional to the amount of care it gets. There is not everything that a person would go to the mechanic for, and can solve some of the basic issues themselves. But even then, the most important aspect of having a car is knowing how to maintain it.
Car maintenance is not an intricate task; although, it warrants some amount of knowledge and know-how. There are some necessary topics one should know about, like changing the tires, knowing which oil to put in the car, cleaning the car and so on. Just like these, there are plenty of topics to know about. One such is, how to jump start a car?
Suppose you wish to go someplace but the car isn’t starting or suppose you are stuck somewhere with a car that refuses to start. This is usually because the car’s battery is weak, and can’t sustain the required push required to put the car in the ignition. Although the car can be towed to a mechanic or a workshop for getting it checked, it might be a costly affair. Instead, getting the car to jump start can be done through these simple steps:
- The first thing that is needed to jump start the car is a set of jumper cables. Since they are important for emergency point of view, a cable can be bought and kept in the car for use when needed. Some businesses too, have them as supplies in their inventories.
- No matter where the incident happens, you’ll need another car or another battery. If there is one in the vicinity, you can talk to the owner into helping you to jumpstart your car.
- Now that both the requirements have been met, i.e. the cables and another car; line up the other car as per where the battery is located, either side to side or nose to bumper.
- Both the cars are to be put in the neutral, with the handbrake(parking brake) on. Then put both the cars into the ignition, although the cars shouldn’t be started, just yet.
- Now comes the important part. The red clip of the jumper cable is to be attached to the positive terminal(+) of both the cars. Pay extra attention that the clips are handled carefully and are securely attached.
- After the red clips, come the black clips. The black clips are to be attached to the negative terminal(-) of the car that needs revival. But, it is important to know that instead of attaching the fourth clamp onto the other car’s terminal; it has to be attached to another surface near the battery that has unpainted metal. For example, a clean nut or metal strut; the purpose of this is to ensure that the jump start is safe and no sparks fly.
- After all the cables have been attached properly, then start the working car. While doing this, attempt to do the same with the affected car as well. It might take a few tries to get it done, but it’ll get the engine starting.
- After the engine has started, don’t just stop it like this. Driving around for 15-20 minutes will help the battery get some charge through the engine.
Safety should be exercised while doing this process. When the issue is related to the battery, take due time to get it done.
It is important to not leave it be and to get the battery checked as soon as possible. This is so that the same event doesn’t happen again. If this happens frequently, it might be because of the car being left in the ignition while not moving. Doing so depletes the battery. The connection between the engine and the battery is so that, when the engine is running and the car is moving, the battery will get charged, while if the engine is running and not moving, it gets the battery to deplete.
However, if the battery is getting depleted without a justifiable reason, it might be due to the battery being weak. In that case, the battery has to be replaced.
To know about the oils and fluids important for car’s performance, read here.